Zirconia Dental Implants: Metal-Free Options in Dental Implantology
There is a new trend in implant dentistry today, one that offers patients an alternative to traditional metal titanium implants. While titanium is still a very important material for dental implants with a great safety and longevity record, many patients would prefer to go metal-free in their mouth whenever possible. In addition to this desire for a more holistic and allergy-free approach to tooth replacement, many patients prefer zirconia implants because they are made of white ceramic and thus less visible behind the soft tissues of the gums.
Advantages of Zirconia (Ceramic) Dental Implants
- The one-piece design has no connecting pieces, which minimizes the risk of gingival infection
- Better aesthetic features thanks to white ceramic (doesn’t show through the gums)
- Does not corrode
- Easier to clean because the margin is set closer to the gum line
- Less bleeding and inflammation of the gums
Potential Disadvantages of Ceramic Implants
- Have not been tested as rigorously as titanium implants
- Not as flexible as titanium – can develop micro cracks and fractures
- Not usually recommended for full-mouth reconstructions
Are ceramic implants truly metal-free?
Zirconia is a mixture of pure zirconium, oxide and traces of metals. Because it is a white, opaque substance that technically has a ceramic makeup, it is categorized as a “ceramic implant” even though it does contain a small amount of metallic atoms.
Considering Zirconia Dental Implants
There are many different reasons to consider zirconia dental implants! They are great for those with titanium allergies, those who want to minimize metal exposure, and those who are concerned about the visibility of metal implants through the gums.
We are here to help you decide which treatment plan is right for you. Please call us today at Laser Periodontal Associates of New York Phone Number 212-688-1870 for more information on zirconia implants and the other options we have to offer.